|UCSF||303 | 53%||123 | 22%||17| 3%||108 | 19%||17 | 3%||0 | 0%|
Notes on the data
- UCSF numbers reflect status of former students at the time the data were gathered in summer/fall 2012. Current employment may now be different.
- National data are taken from the NIH Biomedical Research Workforce Report of 2012.
- Study looked at graduates 1997-2006, i.e. 6-15 years post-graduation.
- Of 617 alumni, employment for 572 (93%) was identified and confirmed.
- Study excluded students in dual degree programs (MD-PhD and DDS-PhD).
- 0% unemployment is an artifact of the study; some of the 7% we could not locate may be unemployed.
- Academic: academic research and teaching appointments, including tenure-track and non-tenure track
- Industry: research in an industrial, for-profit setting
- Gov't: research in government agencies (e.g. NIH, NSF, etc.)
- Sci-Rel: related to science, but not traditional research, e.g. science policy, scientific patent attorney, science writer
- Non-Sci: careers unrelated to science
Go back to list of aggregate data.