Application Fee Waiver
Certain applicants may qualify to have their application fee waived. Request this waiver by selecting the "application fee waiver" option in the payment area of the online application for your chosen program.
Please note: although some applicants receive automatic waivers based on prior program participation, waivers must still be processed manually in our system, therefore requesting a waiver well in advance of the application deadline is necessary. Waivers are processed Monday-Friday during regular business hours.
I. Students participating in any of the following programs automatically receive application fee waivers:
• Active US military or US veteran
• CA State University Sally Casanova predoctoral scholars
• CAMP (California Alliance for Minority Participation in STEM)
• Graduate from HBCU's (historically black colleges and institutions)
• HHMI EXROP
• LS-AMP (Louis-Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation in STEM - National counterpart to CAMP)
• MARC (Minority Access to Research Careers)
• MBRS-IMSD (Minority Biomedical Research Support - Initiative for Maximizing Student Development)
• Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
• Ronald McNair scholars
• SF-BUILD participant
• UC LEADS (Leadership Excellence through Advanced Degrees)
• UCOP-Tuskegee Partnership Interns/Alumni
• UCSF Summer Research Training Program alumni
• I spoke with a UCSF staff/faculty/student at the ABRCMS conference
• I spoke with a UCSF staff/faculty/student at the SACNAS conference
II. US citizens or permanent residents who demonstrate financial need
To be eligible for a fee waiver based on financial need, your adjusted gross income — based on your most current federal income tax return — must not exceed the federal poverty standards defined by the Department of Health and Human Services. These standards, which are updated annually, are accessible at: aspe.hhs.gov/poverty
If you are requesting a fee waiver based on financial need, please select the "financial need" fee waiver option in the payment area of the online application.
III. Extenuating circumstances
US citizens or permanent residents who do not meet the standards given above, but who would have significant difficulty in paying application fees, may still apply for the waiver. In this case, please select the "financial need" fee waiver option in the payment area of the online application and indicate that you have extenuating circumstances.
Status of fee waiver application
We will notify you of our fee waiver decision by e-mail. If we approve your fee waiver, please submit your application once you have completed all sections.
For further information on applying for a fee waiver, contact Christian Sweatt, [email protected].