It can be challenging to make ends meet when you're in school. The Graduate Division may be able to help you with an internal fellowship, childcare grant, travel, or research award. Together with your graduate program, we can also help you navigate through the application process for other types of support.
Apply for a Fellowship or Award
- Internal Fellowships and Awards: The Graduate Division offers many internal fellowships and awards to eligible PhD students. Students must be nominated and are chosen for these annual awards each April by their individual programs. Get details about competitive and non-competitive internal fellowships and awards.
- Extramural Grants and Fellowships: Extramural fellowships distinguish the most meritorious research projects. Eligibility, support, and application procedures vary widely. Consult with your UCSF graduate program director, administrator, adviser, and the Graduate Division as you prepare applications. Find out more about applying for extramural funding.
- UC Multi-Campus Research Unit Fellowships: The University of California offers a number of system-wide fellowships. Each award has a specific purpose and application process. Read more about UC-sponsored funding opportunities.
Accept a Research or Teaching Assistant Appointment
Most academic departments and programs offer a limited number of research or teaching assistantships, which can provide you with income as well as valuable experience to build your CV. View general information about academic appointments here, then contact your graduate program administrator for information. (Don't know who your program administrator is? See a list of contacts.)
Apply for a Travel Award
Attendance at scientific conferences is an important component of a graduate student’s training and career development. Explore the options for funding your conference travel.
If you have young children, you may be eligible for a childcare grant. Find out more about childcare grants. Note that students with a graduate student researcher or teaching assistant appointment may be eligible to pay for childcare expenses on a pre-tax basis through the DepCare FSA program.
Other Resources for Help and Information
- The UCSF Office of Student Financial Aid awards loans and grants to students who demonstrate financial need. Visit the Financial Aid website, or drop in to their offices at the Parnassus campus in Millberry Union, 200 West or Mission Bay Student Services at Mission Hall, 1st floor, to meet with an adviser.
- See current graduate student fees and tuition rates.
Slider photo credits: "Money, Mississippi" (sign) by Dave Barger on Flickr; money close-up by Thomas Hawk on Flickr; money word tiles by 'PT Money' ptmoney.com