Forms are provided as pdf files. These forms may be filled out on your computer. If you are using a MAC, DO NOT USE PREVIEW MODE to fill out these forms as the data you provide will not be accessible. You MUST use Adobe Acrobat in order to have your forms accessible to all once they are saved. Get the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Please email your forms to [email protected]. If you need in-person assistance, you may visit Student Services located in Mission Hall 1300, 550 16th Street, Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Additionally, you may visit the Registrar's Office located in Milberry Union 200 West, 500 Parnassus Ave, or call 415-476-8280.

General Forms for degree type
addition/change of degree objective all degrees
change of committee member(s) all degrees
filing fee application MA, MS, PhD
general petition all degrees
registration in absentia all degrees
misc. registrar's forms (external link)* all degree types

Progression Forms for degree type
advancement to candidacy - MA^ MA
advancement to candidacy - MS^ MS
advancement to candidacy: nursing only^ MS
advancement to candidacy: physical therapy, SFSU** DPT
advancement to candidacy - PhD^ (submit online in the student portal [as of 26 March 19]) PhD
application for qualifying exam (submit online in the student portal) PhD
report on qualifying exam PhD

Graduate Division Award Forms for degree type
Graduate Division Travel Award application all degrees

electronic title pages, surveys, and publishing agreement MA, MS, PhD, and joint programs

* Includes forms related to California residency, registration, transcript and diploma requests, name change, and filing fee. These forms also available from the Office of the Registrar in MU-200W.

** Effective in 2017, students enrolled in the Doctorate of Physical Therapy program do not need to submit paperwork in order to advance to candidacy. Please contact the program administrator if you have any questions.

Be sure to read the guidelines carefully before submitting documents.

^ Important Deadline: Advancement to Candidacy forms are due no later than the first day of the term in which you wish to advance.