The Graduate Division Travel Award provides up to $700 for graduate academic students to present at professional conferences. Award funding is dependent on funds availability.
Details and Instructions
- Funds may only be used for transportation (airfare, taxi, shuttle, public transportation) and registration fees (excluding meals and lodging).
- Other travel expenses, such as lodging, meals, membership dues, car rental, parking, airline seat upgrades, abstract and/or poster development, abstract fees, and office supplies are not eligible.
- Retroactive requests for funding are not allowed.
- Participation in the meeting should be directly relevant to the applicant's research and beneficial to his/her future career.
- Students may receive only one travel award as a degree candidate. If you received an Anthony Travel award, you are not eligible for this award.
- The total number of travel awards and the amount per award each year is based on the availability of funds.
- Applications are accepted year-round; however, funds are limited. Students are advised to apply as early as possible!
- UCSF registered graduate academic students; must be registered in the term in which you are attending the conference. Students on filing fee are not eligible.
- Students in self-supporting programs are not eligible for this award. They include Advanced Training in Clinical Research (ATCR), Biomedical Imaging, Health Policy & Law, Health Care Administration (MS-HAIL), and Global Health Sciences MS.
- In good academic standing with no outstanding fee balance
- Presenting a paper or poster at a professional meeting or giving a talk
- Students with fellowships providing a research budget or education allowance must expend those funds completely to be eligible for these awards
- Students should seek support from research advisers, principal investigators, graduate programs, and schools before applying for the Graduate Division's travel awards
- You must not have received a Graduate Division Travel Award in the past
At least ten business days in advance of the proposed departure date.
Submit the following documents in one combined PDF file via email to [email protected]. Your application may be rejected if multiple PDF files are received instead of one combined document, if any of the required documents are missing, or if ineligible expenses are included. The single PDF file must contain all of the following documents:
- Completed application form. Your UC ID number is required on the application. The ID number is 9 numbers and begins with 02. You can find it on the student portal summary page just above privacy settings.
- Conference announcement listing official dates, location and fees
- Confirmation of participation in the meeting (i.e. acceptance of paper or poster)
- Proof-of-payment of registration fees (credit card statement in the applicant's name or verification from conference that payment has been received and processed)
- Proof-of-payment of airfare (EXACT COST) plus estimated baggage fees and ground transportation costs. E-tickets are acceptable as long as they show that the applicant's credit card has been charged. Important: Travel must be conducted in the least expensive and most direct way possible. Award does not cover seat upgrade costs.
Graduate Division Travel Awards are paid as reimbursements of actual expenses incurred by awardees for approved expenses. Awardees are required to submit their reimbursement request using MyExpense via MyAccess. Please note that reimbursement requests must be submitted within 45 days from the end of a trip. Any expense reports submitted after the 45-day deadline will cause the award to be reported as taxable income. Contact Wendy Winkler at [email protected] for more details on the reimbursement process. After the reimbursement has been approved, it will take one week to process payment. Sign up for direct deposit to speed up payment.
Note for students receiving financial aid: Travel awards do not appear in the student financial aid offer letter and will not count against the student's financial aid.