DepCare Flexible Spending Account

DepCare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for Students with Payroll Appointments

  • Who is eligible?: Graduate student researchers (GSRs) and teaching assistants (TAs)
  • Who is covered?: You and your eligible family members
  • Who pays?: You

The DepCare FSA for students with a GSR or TA payroll appointment allows you to pay for eligible expenses for the care of your child/children or eligible adult dependent(s) on a pretax basis. As a result, your salary is reduced before taxes are assessed, and you pay less in taxes. The DepCare FSA for academic student employees is designed to serve the academic student employees (ASEs) represented by the UAW as well as non-represented academic student employees, including GSRs and TAs.

The way Depcare FSA works is simple:

  • Determine the amount you wish to contribute
  • Complete the enrollment form
  • Email the form to [email protected]
  • The contribution amount you choose is taken from your pay each month
  • You pay your dependent care expenses as usual
  • You submit a claim form and copies of your dependent care receipts to WageWorks 
  • Remember, you forfeit any money you don't use. So, do calculate your contributions carefully!


Read more about this benefit on the website of the UC Office of the President.